It’s Not A Good Plan…
My GP (whom I adore and have the upmost respect for and trust in) and I have worked out a plan. But let me tell you right up front, it’s not a good plan.
Also, I have to acknowledge that my GP was shocked that after being on the highest possible dose of Prevacid for over a month that I had such a terrible attack. Quite frankly he acknowledged that he’s never heard of that happening. As per normal the stats seem to be against me, and I am a rarity….which has never turned out to be a good thing for me in respect to my medical history.
And I’ll admit right now that I’m incredibly angry at the jerk ER doctor who refused to make the referral to the GI specialist, because now I may have to wait months…
So, the plan is contingent on the H. Pylori test I have next week. For the record, I booked this test on May 19 for the next available appointment – June 29. I cannot get this test moved up, I’ve tried everything already.
Basically, my GP cannot make a referral to a GI at this point in time, the GI will just reject it. Until the H. Pylori test is done next week, my GP’s hands are tied (if the jerk doctor had made this referral on the weekend I would have already seen a GI, again, I’m not impressed). If the H. Pylori test comes back positive they can treat the bacterial infection that is likely causing the ulcer and this misery will be behind me. Apparently the treatment isn’t much fun, but it’s effective, and effective is truly all I care about. If the H. Pylori test comes back negative, then my GP can submit a referral to a GI, as an endoscope will be required to determine what’s going on in my stomach. Depending on the GI wait list, it could take months for me to get it. My GP has no ability to influence the wait list, unlike the jerk doctor.
So, this means until at least the 29th, I’m in basic survival mode and essentially on a starvation diet. (And I say at least, because he’s not sure when he’ll get the results…with it being a long weekend, he may not get the results until July 4).
My GP wants me to try half pieces of toast throughout the day, because that worked a month ago when this all started and has worked in the past. He also wants me to find out immediately if I can tolerate Gatorade, not just plain water, to try to get some electrolytes into me. Then I am supposed to try introducing plain white rice. If that goes well, then I’ll try plain chicken. If that goes well, I’ll try mushed up and over cooked carrots (i.e. baby food). If it goes poorly I have percocet for pain. If I end up as sick as I was on the weekend, then I’m supposed to go back to the ER.
But, I’ve told him I refuse to live off percocet, so I will only try introducing new foods at night when Mr. MPB is home and after Little MPB is asleep. Simply put I’m probably not a very good parent when I’m high on Percocet so I’m better off to be starving to avoid having to take Percocet constantly. To which my doctor actually agreed.
So, like I said, it’s not a good plan. But, I am taking solace in knowing what to expect next and what the possible options are.
If you like this post, please feel free to share and please click the follow button on the side or return to myperfectbreakdown.com to follow my journey.