I was determined to pull myself out of the grouchy funk I have been in for a few days. I took everyone’s comments yesterday to heart and started trying to sort through the cause of my grouchiness. I honestly still don’t know what the root issue is, but I did decide that I had to do something to lift my spirits. So here’s what I did yesterday:
- I stopped trying to force myself to work. I was just staring at my computer screen doing nothing, so I decided to give up and do something else.
- First, I went for a short walk to check out mail, just to get out of the house.
- Then, I went for a mid-morning Starbucks treat – extra hot, non-fat chai latte. While in line at the drive through I purchased the lunch/coffee for the individual behind me. Hopefully I was able to spread some joy and make someone else smile.
- I watched Humble and Kind by Tim McGraw, which attempted to restore my faith in human kind. But, somehow YouTube used this video to take me on a trip down memory lane as Tim McGraw videos some-how turned into a run of County music videos from the 1990s, which somehow turned into a few of my sister’s favourite songs, including her absolute favourite song – Strawberry Wine by Deana Carter. I had an unbelievably therapeutic cry for all that my heart misses and longs for.
- When the tears stopped flowing, I decided it was time for a mid-day run. I have not run in months thanks to my stomach issues. In fact, I feel as though I have not done much exercise since my old spin studio was horrible to me. Needless to say, my 30 minute run consisted of more walking then I’d like to admit. It was hard. Incredibly hard. But, it also felt oh so good!
- Then, I mowed the lawn, because combining physical work and necessary work just made sense.
- After that, Mr. MPB played with Little MPB while I did a few more things I just wanted to do. So after reading stories with Little MPB, I made Little MPB’s dinner, rice-crispy squares and cherry muffins (evidently I’m going to have to keep running to burn those calories) and then I sat down to write just for the sake of writing.
- And once Little MPB was sound asleep we began digging holes for new trees which are arriving next week (I’m not going to be able to lift my arms tomorrow).
- And while I thought I’d end the day with a glass of wine, instead I ended the day with a glass of water and Tylenol to help ease all my new found aches and pains.
And you know what? It took me an entire day of doing all kinds of things to somewhat lift my spirits. Evidently curing my grouchiness takes a lot of effort! I’ll admit, I’m still a bit grouchy, but I really do hope that I’m on my way to feeling better.
And once again (as it seems I say this every few months), I am reminded that I need to run or cycle. I need some sort of physical exercise in my life to keep me feeling sane (and allow me to eat sweet treats). I need to remember to take time for self-care.
If you like this post, please feel free to share and please click the follow button on the side or return to myperfectbreakdown.com to follow my journey.