A Future Dog?
Yup, my mind has already gone to finding a future dog for our family. I desperately miss our dog, and I know I will for years to come. But I also know that we are dog people and I want a dog in our family. In fact, both Mr. MPB and I have always wanted our child(ren) to grow up with dogs. Some of our favourite childhood memories were with our childhood dogs and we both want the same for Little MPB. I’ll Also admit that if I cannot give Little MPB a human sibling, the least I can do is give him a puu-py best friend. And, we know our son’s birth mom chose us in part because of our dog – she shares our love of big dogs and also wanted Little MPB to grow up with a dog. Also, Little MPB continues to search for his Puu-py, so I assume he also wants a dog in his life too.
So, here’s where we are at. Mr. MPB is not ready for another dog just yet. I am, our house is too empty and feels still. Little MPB is too young to have a vote.
The only problem is that regardless if we get one in a few months or in a few weeks, we don’t know what to get! We didn’t expect to be looking at getting another dog for 5+ years, so we hadn’t even begun to consider different breeds. This said, we have decided that we want a puppy, even though the idea of adding a puppy to our already busy lives does seem slightly daunting. Also, we are not going to get a dog that resembles our dog, which means a big black dog is out of the question. We are not trying to replace her, so this one must be different. Also, we have decided that we are not going to get another rescue dog. We loved, loved, loved our rescue dog but she had a lot of fear issues, and with a toddler running around we’d like the piece of mind of knowing the dog’s history and it’s tendencies. This means, for now we are not looking at rescue agencies.
So, we have decided to start researching large breed and medium-large breed dogs. If we can agree on a breed then we’ll start investigating breeders. If we cannot agree on a breed, then we will keep researching and talking.
Here’s our list of dog breeds that we might consider:
- Bernese Mountain Dog – We have always both loved this breed and love how good with kids they are. But, they are known to be sick and not live long. Also they are giant and will also make our old 90lbs dog look small.
- Nova Scotia Duck Toller – This dog is beautiful – it looks similar to a small Golden Retriever. But, these dogs are crazy expensive – as in $3500 – $4000. They are also apparently slightly harder to train. This is one of Mr. MPB’s favourites. I like them but I cannot stomach the price tag.
- Old English Sheep Dog – These dogs are big, furry and good with kids. And, can you say adorable?!! This is one of my favourites we have discussed so far. Mr. MPB’s not a fan of just how large they are.
- Golden Retriever – A good classic dog – good size, decent price, good with kids, etc. But, we both grew up with Golden’s and would like to something a little bit different.
- Sheepadoodle, Bernedoodle, Goldendoodle or a Labradoodle. All the doodles seem to shed less, are good with kids, are smart and are supposedly easy to train. Right now my favourite is the sheepadoodle probably because I love sheepdog so much. Mr. MPB is still stuck on the idea of having a dog that is any sort of doodle because their names are so funny to say.
Does anyone have experience to share with us about any of the breeds we’ve identified so far?
Or, does anyone have any other dog breed suggestions we may want to consider?
If you like this post, please feel free to share and please click the follow button on the side or return to myperfectbreakdown.com to follow my journey.