10 Super Exciting Adoption Positives
I have focused so much on all our big decisions, fears, frustrations and stress surrounding adoption lately, so today I want to share some of the things about adoption that I am incredibly excited about. First, I need to acknowledge that this list all about me and Mr. MPB. It is a completely selfish and a somewhat silly list. I promise, I will talk about all the adoption positive for others involved in adoption at a later date. And I have no doubt I will also talk about more frustrations and annoyances too as we continue to work our way through the process.
- Providing a loving and safe home and family to a child(ren). We are not going into adoption with the attitude of trying to save the world, but it is pretty awesome knowing that we will get to raise a child who needed us, just as much as we needed them.
- I will not have to lose pregnancy weight. While I am still dealing with the physical effects of 5 miscarriages in 2.5 years and no exercise through most of it, it’s not the same as having to lose 20-30 (or more) pounds.
- I won’t have to recovery from pregnancy, while trying to handle our first child. I get to skip all that, and just go straight into being a mother. Sure, I still won’t get to sleep through the night, but I will get to feel healthy from the very first moment that our child arrives in our arms.
- The traits we never wanted to pass onto our children (i.e. my bad eye sight, my uncooperative complexion, etc.) will be gone. (This one has some mixed emotions attached to it, but since I’m only focusing on the positive today I will leave it at this).
- MPB will be just as important in the child’s life as I will be. In addition to all the parenting stuff like changing diapers, Mr. MPB will be an equal partner in feeding our child. We will both be equally critical to our child, and so we will truly be parenting together.
- While we work our way through the adoption process, we are living again. I can have a glass of wine when I want to, we are exercising 5-6 times a week, we are planning weekend getaways whenever we want, etc. We are enjoying our freedom and childfree status while we can, because we know at some point soon enough our lives will be dictated by the needs of a little person.
- We get to focus on hope. Even on days when the process is wearing on us, we always see the light at the end of the tunnel! After so many losses and struggles, knowing that there is a light at the end of the tunnel is incredibly refreshing.
- Because we have chosen open adoption, our child will be surrounded by love. They will know our love, the love of their birth parents and potentially even their extended birth family.
- We get to create our own family story. When you have children the normal way, your family story is normal. And one of the biggest bonuses about people not understanding adoption is that we get to dictate our family story as we explain adoption. Once this was pointed out to me, I started to get really excited about all the possibilities because I’m never one to do things the traditional way!!
- Our baby! We will get our child(ren) and our family! (This might be similar to number one, but I think it’s worth mentioning again).
If you like this post, please feel free to share it and please return to myperfectbreakdown.com to follow my journey.