The Elusive Second Child
I always dreamed of having two children. So did Mr. MPB.
Eventually our dream became to simply have one living child.
We now have that dream thanks to Baby MPB.
Yet, I already feel my heart longing for another. I’ve already said on multiple occasions, if I could have another one without compromising Baby MPB’s lifestyle and future I would, in a heartbeat.
Yet, we are already giving away and selling Baby MPB’s things that we no longer need. Because the dream of a second child feels unachievable. The facts for us are simple:
- International adoption will cost us another $80,000+.
- Local adoption will be at least a 3+ year wait.
- My body will not sustain the life of a fetus without significant intervention which we cannot get locally and thus would cost us $80,000+. And, the intervention does not come with a guarantee.
- A gestational carrier has never really been a viable option for us (read all of that here).
- We are tens of thousands of dollars in debt due to the bills associated with our current adoption. This will take at least a few years to pay off.
- We are not contributing to Baby MPB’s education fund in the way we’d like to. It has always been our goal to be able to afford to pay for his post secondary education (if he wants to go) so that he will not accumulate his own debt to start out adulthood.
- I’ve never wanted my children to be many years apart. And for us to adopt locally or finding a way to pay for another adoption will take us years.
So, rationally, we cannot have another child. And, like it or not, Mr. MPB and I are extremely rational people. We took our leap of faith when we adopted our son, and honestly, he’s as close to perfect as humanly possible. He’s all I could ever have dreamed for. Heck, he’s more then I ever dreamed for!
And so, I’m finding these days I’m saying things like:
- Being an only child isn’t a bad thing. He’ll make great friends and be involved in a lot of social activities – bring on soccer and hockey!
- There’s a 99.9% chance Baby MPB will be an only child, so we’d better make the most of these baby days.
- With only one child, we should be able to afford to travel and experience the world Baby MPB the world. Maybe we’ll even be able to buy our dream second home in the mountains one day.
- If by some miracle we have another child one day we can just re-purchase everything we are getting rid of now.
- With only one child, we should be able to pay for his post-secondary education so that he will be debt free coming out of university.
- Maybe we could foster other children. Or do respite for other foster families so that Baby MPB will have other kids around and we will have other kids around to fill our house with love, joy and silly chaos that’s we’ve always hoped for. I’m confident that we’d get approved since we already have a government approved home study so we don’t have to worry about that.
Maybe I’m just trying to convince myself that we’ll be okay with one.
Maybe my heart will always long for another.
Regardless, all I know is that our one child is perfect and if he’s the only child to ever call me mommy I’ll be okay with that. Every single day I am thankful to be his mommy!
If you like this post, please feel free to share and please click the follow button on the side or return to myperfectbreakdown.com to follow my journey.