My Early Parenting Actions/Observations
I’ve had a few people ask me about day to day life with Baby MPB. I didn’t write about it while we were away because honestly, day-to-day life in a hotel without a kitchen and laundry while under the direct control of our agency meant that life simply wasn’t normal.
But, now that we are settling in at home I’ve started to think more about what parenting has really been like.
Truthfully, the first thing that comes to mind isn’t that it’s amazing or awesome, which of course it is and I’m determined to never take a moment for granted.
What actually comes to mind is that it’s nothing like I expected. Everyone told me parenting is full of surprises. Well, as a first time mom, let me tell you, they were right!! Every day (and night) is like a new little adventure.
Here are things I am doing/have done since our son was born.
- I smell his bum. And I do so on a very regular basis.
- I poke my him when he sleeps. If he does not move, I poke again, and harder. From what I’m told many people just watch to make sure a babies chest is rising to ensure they are breathing – that isn’t a good enough strategy in the MPB household.
- There are about 10 thousand different ways to burp a baby. None seem to work well for him so cheer him on when he burps. The louder and bigger the burp, the better. (Truth be told, I also cheer him on for pooing too).
- Formula feeding is frustrating because no-one seems to be able to answer any sort of question or provide any decent information other then breast is best.
- I nearly cry when he cries and I cannot solve the problem. In fact, I get so upset that I’ve had to hand him to Mr. MPB. I cannot bare the idea of him suffering, it breaks my heart.
- I record everything! When he eats, how much he eats, how long he eats for, when we change his diaper, what is in his diaper, etc. Thank goodness for modern technology and apps that make this stuff relatively simple to track.
- People visit all the time. Which is awesome, I’m so excited for Baby MPB to meet his circle of family and friends and to be showered with so much love. But, everyone has an opinion on everything. I’m mastering the smile and nod, but sometimes the odd eye roll just cannot be helped.
- After reading about pregnancy and it never working out for us, I decided to boycott all parenting books. I’ve quickly realized that just like everyone having an opinion, so does every author. Do not wonder into the parenting book section at your local book store. It’s overwhelming. And I quickly realized that I might just be the most unprepared mother ever.
- I am too afraid to switch to powdered formula – what if I mix it wrong and kill him?! So, he’s still on the expensive pre-made formula and will probably stay on it for the foreseeable future.
- Working and parenting an infant is hard. Both Mr. MPB and I are working nearly full time now that we are home (and we even worked a bit remotely while in the USA). It means we working at all hours of the day so that one of us is with Baby MPB while the other works. It’s probably the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. I’m guilt ridden and exhausted.
- I love baby snuggles! I simply cannot get enough.
If you like this post, please feel free to share and please click the follow button on the side or return to myperfectbreakdown.com to follow my journey.