We now seem to have a once or twice a week ScreamFest that starts at about 1am and goes until 2 or 3 or even 4am. It’s the kind of blood curdling, non-stop scream that makes everyone in the house want to cry. Nothing seems to help other then constant snuggling. And we’ve learned that we cannot, even for a second, think that we can set down the sleeping baby and try to leave his room because he instantly wakes back up and the ScreamFest re-commences.
We have no idea what night it’s going to happen. And more troubling is we have absolutely no idea why it is happening.
We’ve read everything we can think to read. It seems like the ScreamFest could be the result of:
- Afraid of the dark – unlikely, his sound machine has a nightlight on it.
- Nightmares – maybe. But what can we do about nightmares?
- An early/weirdly timed sleep regression – from what I can tell sleep regressions don’t normally present as once a week sleeping problems. So probably not.
- Hungry – he’s not, we’ve tried giving him milk.
- Overtired – but as a kid who loves to sleep, it’s not often that he gets too tired because he just falls asleep if he’s really tired.
- Change in routine – it doesn’t seem to be constantly correlated to a change in his routine, so we don’t think this is it.
- Too much sleep – he’s pretty scheduled in his 7pm – 6am night time sleep and one 1 hour to 1.5 hour nap. If we try to keep him up longer he will just fall asleep mid-play, so I don’t think it’s he’s getting too much sleep.
- Teething – he’s not teething. He has 16 full teeth now, and there is no evidence that his 2 year molars are coming in freakishly early.
So, what do we do, when we have no idea what’s causing the horrific ScreamFest? How do we help him sleep through whatever it is that’s waking him up and upsetting him so much?
I just hate seeing my little guy so upset…
If you like this post, please feel free to share and please click the follow button on the side or return to myperfectbreakdown.com to follow my journey.