I typically dislike Halloween and have for years:
- I hate the candy, because I have the biggest sweet tooth in the world and all I do is eat all the candy. I usually don’t even buy candy for the trick-or-treators until the actual day of Halloween because it limits my time to eat it. I simply cannot have that stuff in the house! And I avoid buying chocolate all together since I have absolutely no ability to refuse chocolate!
- I hated dressing up as a kid. I have no idea why, but I just never enjoyed it.
- I still hate dressing up. I’m too much of a perfectionist to DYI something (because let’s be honest, my creative skills are seriously lacking). And I’m way to cheap to pay for a costume pre-made. So, I just dread dressing up and try to avoid going out at all costs.
- In the past I’ve attempted to skip Halloween altogether. Spending so long being childless, not by choice, made me hate the idea of seeing all kinds of cute little dressed up kids at my door.
- Every year I stress about our dog. The only time she barks is when people come to the door or there is lots of activity on the street. She’s getting more and more protective as she gets older. I worry that she’ll get upset and something will go wrong, so she ends up spending the evening locked in the basement so she doesn’t get as wound up. I despise locking her in the basement.
But this year, I’m trying a bit harder to enjoy it. And so far it’s coming a bit easier for me as seeing Halloween through a kids eyes has proven to be a lot more fun for me.
This weekend we went to a pumpkin patch and petting zoo (thanks to all the IG photos of others doing, I thought we should partake in this adorable event). Baby MPB had a great time, and I took about 100 photos of all the adorable cuteness. And then of course we carved up Baby MPB’s first pumpkin. And of course, I took a ffew more photos of the pumpkiny-gooey cuteness.
We went really early to buy Baby MPB a costume. Mr. MPB was thinking something Star Wars related or maybe Batman or some sort of superhero costume. I put my foot down and said no, I want something cute and cuddly because this is probably the only year I will get to pick his costume. And let’s be honest, as a little boy, in future years he is probably going to want to dress up as Luke Skywalker or Batman or Superman. I almost compromised and agreed to an Ewok costume. But, once we found out Ewok is one of the top selling baby Halloween costumes, we decided to avoid any pop-culture costumes. Mr. MPB was equally opposed to dressing him up as a teddy bear, a dog or some sort of fuzzy animal. So, we eventually found a compromise and he’s going as the cutest little dinosaur.
And as we have no family in town we plan to dress him up, take some adorable photos and then go trick-or-treating at a few of our neighbours houses. (Given my addiction to candy and the fact that Baby MPB will have no idea what’s going on this year, we will probably not be trick-or-treating at multiple houses).
Now, I just need today meetings to speed by so that I can get home and play with my little dinosaur!
If you like this post, please feel free to share and please click the follow button on the side or return to myperfectbreakdown.com to follow my journey.