Today Is A Great Day To Complain
Today feels like a great day to complain.
Why you ask?
Because today is a very significant day in our adoption journey.
Today these are our realities:
- We officially finished paying for about half of the costs of our adoption.
- We still have another small fortune to pay and we are not entirely sure how we will do it.
- We are paying nearly all our adoption bills in US dollars and the Canadian dollar is currently sitting at an 11 year low. Effectively this is upping the cost of our adoption by about 1/3 more then we ever anticipated.
- We still are not matched or placed. We are just waiting day in and day out.
Today, I feel ridiculously broke and I have nothing to show for it.
Needless to say, I think today is a good day to complain about adoption. My complaints are rather simple:
- I will never understand how the adoption agencies can in good conscious quote us $25,000-$50,000 USD for an adoption and then continue to raise the fees once we agreed to the initial price and are essentially forced to work with them and pay whatever they say.
- I will never understand why people like Mr. MPB and I, who will do almost anything to love and care for a child are forced to pay about $80,000 USD to adopt 1 child. I will never understand how our system accepts this as reasonable. I will never understand how our society is letting lawyers and agencies profit off the complex situation that is adoption.
- I will never be okay with the fact that we are financially able to adopt (it’s not easy but we are making it work, at least so far), but many others will never even be able to consider it. The financial aspects of adoption make it nearly impossible for many people to even consider it and it does not treat adoptive parents equally. In my humble opinion, the system is horribly broken.
- The Hague Convention is in large part designed to protect vulnerable children and birth parents in respect to international adoption. And yet when I see our bills continually rise, I cannot help but feel like we are participating in some sort of human smuggling ring. It literally makes me sick to my stomach and makes me question our choices.
- I will never be okay with the fact that every penny we are spending right now will directly correlate to the amount of money we will have for our child’s future and education. It’s just not okay.
- I hate that one day my child will ask me how much we paid for them, because nearly all adopted children do at some point. I hate that any child will ever ask this question.
- I always wanted two children, somehow I just cannot see that as being part of our future. And I hate that our decision will be based in solely on money.
If you like this post, please feel free to share it and please click the follow button on the side or return to myperfectbreakdown.com to follow my journey.