I’m on the road with work 3 days this week, including 1 over night. That means, this week was always going to be a tad bit more stressful then normal. But with my relative staying with us and she will help out with Little MPB – and for the record I’m not being sarcastic. We are three weeks into her staying with us, and things are going well. She helps out with Little MPB and the dog. So, with her help I’m confident that the evenings I’m away, she’ll help out so it wont be as stressful for Mr. MPB.
But, then, on Sunday everything about this week became a bit more stressful. Sunday we found out one of Mr. MPB’s relatives was coming to visit for a few days. He’s been on a cross country road trip, that no-one bothered to tell us about. So, 4 hours before he was expected to arrive, he told us. He said he’d be staying for 1 or 2 nights. Last time he did this, he stayed for nearly a week.
And, then on Sunday we also found out that Mr. MPB’s parents are coming next next week too. Maybe as early as Wednesday. Or Maybe Friday. We have no idea how long they will be staying, but presumably just through the weekend. They tend to stress me out, as we’ve had some pretty bad visits in the past.
So, it’s only Monday morning, and I’m stressed for a bunch of reasons:
- Hosting people while I’m not even home = not fun.
- Do people not understand that it’s respectful to give notice??? I couldn’t imagine just inviting myself to stay at someone else’s house, ever! And, especially not without giving decent notice!!
- We told Mr. MPB’s family weeks ago, that this summer we had someone staying in our house and if they wanted to visit they couldn’t while she is here. Clearly that’s now being ignored by them and by Mr. MPB. I actually kinda get Mr. MPB not saying now – it’s hard to say not to family visiting. But, I do not get why they feel the need to come visit when they know we don’t have the space. I find it so disrespectful.
- We don’t have the space for all these people!!! I will not make our permanent guest re-arrange her space to fit them – she was here first, and everyone knew about her visit. Also, we promised her our basement for the summer, and I’m not breaking that promise. (She has offered, but I’ve firmly said no). Given that it’s mid-week they cannot sleep on the mattresses in our office – we need to work. This means, everyone is going to be crashing in our living room/Little MPB’s play room.
- Both Mr. MPB and I are self-employed and work from home. Mid-week visits are never good for us because always just assume since we work for ourselves we can just take the day off to visit. This week it’s not an option – we both have work commitments and deadlines. Oh, and we also like to get paid so we need to work.
- I’m going to be doing laundry all week as I prepare for people to come and go. As if I have the time for that.
- We are going to be cooking / ordering in food all week to feed a bunch of people. This is going to be expensive, and I have much better ways I’d prefer to spend my money.
- I’m going to be doing a lot of the work because it’s Mr. MPB’s family so he’ll spend more time just chatting – as he should. But, it’s going to be tough since I’m also going to be away. So I’m positive that when I am home, I’m going to feel like I’m just working my butt off the entire time.
I can honestly say, I’m not excited for this week. But here’s to hoping my expectations are so low that things can only go better then I expect right now.
If you like this post, please feel free to share and please click the follow button on the side or return to myperfectbreakdown.com to follow.