USA Travel Conundrum
We had planned to go to the USA at some point this summer. The purpose of the visit would be to visit our son’s birth mom and his new sibling. It is a very important trip, as we want to foster a relationship between all of us.
But we are second guessing our decision now, simply because Trump got elected and the country appears to be changing almost over night.
The first problem we have with a trip to the USA right now is that Mr. MPB and I have a fundamental philosophy in life that we do not spend our travel dollars in countries that we do not support equality – this is a long standing position of ours and we choose destinations based in part on knowing that we are spending our money in a way that we are comfortable spending it because in our minds, one of the key ways to influence the world is to choose how we spend our money because money speaks. And, based on the recent media reports, I’m pretty sure the current political climate in the USA is not one of equality. This simply isn’t a political system that we want to support.
The second problem is the changes happening regarding travel into and out of the USA. First, it is our understanding that USA citizens with Canadian residency may be prevented from leaving the USA – I have no idea how or why, but we’ve been told this by multiple people in the “know”. And, our son is floating in some sort of no-man’s land in regard to his Canadian status – he is not a Canadian resident, he is not a refugee, nor is he a Canadian citizen (yet). So, if there is a potential that he could be prevented from leaving the USA that would put our family in quite a pickle since we live and work in Canada. We have been advised just to avoid going to the USA until Little MPB is a Canadian citizen. And his Canadian citizenship will probably take about another year.
So, what do we do? If it weren’t for our son and his birth family being located in the USA, we simply wouldn’t visit right now. The decision would actually be really easy. But, of course, that’s not our reality – we know we want to foster this relationship, we truly believe it is important to everyone involved in our son’s life, mostly our son. So, do we put aside our political issue? Do we risk possible problems at immigration and just go? Or do we put off our visit for another year? Or do we wait until the next election and see if things change before going?
If you like this post, please feel free to share and please click the follow button on the side or return to myperfectbreakdown.com to follow my journey.