Our Super Amazing Nanny Quit
The part-time nanny we hired is a university student, we really liked her. She took the job and said she intended to stay with us through the summer and her last year of university. We thought perfect, by then Baby MPB will be over a year old and we may consider a more structured day-care.
Well, she spontaneously decided to spend her summer overseas. (I don’t believe the spontaneity of this – most university student’s, at least not the ones I know, can just pick up and leave the country for a summer. I suspect she knew this the entire time but didn’t say anything so that she could get the job). So she is leaving for four months.
She offered to set us up with her friend for the summer with her returning once school starts. We met her friend and she just doesn’t feel right. And, I’m not prepared to look for someone for just 4 months, so we’ve told her we cannot guarantee her job when she gets back, but she is welcome to contact us when she returns and we can talk. (Honestly, if we have a new reliable nanny she wont be getting her job back).
So, we placed another ad on line. 20 responses in 24 hours. We were optimistic. 8 looked good enough to contact. 3 responded.
- 1 showed up for an interview but was afraid of our dog, so she wont work. (As an aside, why apply to a job that says must be good with 90lbs dog if you are afraid of dogs?).
- 1 did not show for her interview, so she’s out. (I just don’t get this).
- 1 rescheduled on us multiple times. We decided to still meet with her because we were feeling desperate. But when we finally met her we had her in and out of our house in 15 minutes as she was never going to work for us.
So, we have a problem.
Our current nanny gave us 2 weeks notice. We have one week left to find someone.
I am already getting nervous about the idea of having no help. We only have help 2 days a week and we are both working full time hours. Those 2 days keep us sane. I’m honestly afraid to do all of this without our 2 days of support. I’m not superwomen!
So, I see two options. Hire the friend on a trial basis or keep looking. Honestly, my gut reaction to the friend wasn’t ideal. And I cannot ignore that. So, I think I’d rather our lives turn crazy for a few weeks while we have no help then hire someone that doesn’t feel right. So, for now, we will keep searching and keep hoping this unexpected blip on the radar passes quickly.
If you like this post, please feel free to share and please click the follow button on the side or return to myperfectbreakdown.com to follow my journey.