It’s been a really heavy last week and a bit. My mind has been processing some pretty big things. Not in a depressed way, just in a lot of self-reflection and thought kind of way. But, I have to admit it’s exhausting constantly working through the hard stuff!
So, for the moment, I need to take a break. I don’t have all the answers and I know I’m not going to figure it all out in the next few days or weeks or even months. So, my goal for the rest of the week is to refocus my mind. Not to forget about the hard stuff, but just to give myself a break. I’ll return to it when I’m ready and if I need to.
And so, in an effort to move on and refocus, I thought I’d try writing a list (I love lists) of positive things going on right now:
- Halloween. I will never understand the desire to decorate one’s house with copious amounts of Halloween themed decorations, but I do love the neighbourly good-natured fun for the kids that is Halloween. And, as a still kid-less adult, I love the excuse to stay home for an evening, have a glass (or two) of wine, watching cheese movies (like Rocky Horror Picture Show) and admire the overflow of cute trick-or-treators. And, I’ve declared that should we still not have a child by Halloween next year, I am borrowing a friend’s kid to take trick-or-treating. I am not sitting on the sidelines of halloween for another year and borrowing a child seems like a good temporary cure (unless it’s cold, then I’m going to stay home with a glass of wine).
- A had 2 really good days at work in the last week. Seriously, both days just made me smile and reminded me that I do actually love some parts of my profession. Now, to turn my entire career into those 2 days, then I’ll be set.
- My new haircut. It’s the exact same style and colour as normal, but I think getting a haircut is the best instant feel-good activity.
- My new cellphone (well, technically used, but it is new to me) and new cell phone company – we are paying less and I am no longer dropping calls on a daily basis. This is just awesome!
- A few amazing friends who I am beyond thankful to have in my life. I don’t know how I’d manage without you!
- I am currently obsesssed with Christina Perri’s songs. Currently I cannot get enough of Human and I Believe. Oh and I just fell in love with 3 Things by Jason Mraz – I just heard it for the first time while driving the other day, and it is pretty much the perfect song for today’s post.
- My big giant furball dog. Seriously, how can she not be on a positive list? She makes me smile at least once a day!
- Mr. MPB, almost every day he’s pretty darn cute and nice to have around.
- Working from home means that after working an 18 hour day (crazy, I know), the next day I slept in,enjoyed bath and am now blog writing while in the comfort of my bright green pajama pants and an old sweater without any judgement.
- I’m doing better at getting in my 5 workouts per week. I do hope to I’ll get back to weight training eventually since right now I’m just doing cario. But I figure, I love cardio so why not do what I actually enjoy the most?
- My new desk chair. I still don’t even have it, it’s on back order, but I am so excited to have a decent chair to sit at all day as I work/write. My back is already happy with anticipation.
- My decision to buy yet another baby thing. We’ve been putting off spending too much money on baby stuff lately due to some other costs in our lives that are taking priority, but when I found a like new Halo Bassinest for $175 on Craigslist, we took the plunge.
- We started fixing our master bathroom. About 1.5 years ago we discovered the shower was leaking, and so we just stopped using it. Once I started working again we’ve been slowly buying supplies and finishes and last weekend we took the plunge. The demo is done, now we just have to rebuild the entire room. I’m hoping we can have it done before an adoption happens or by Christmas (since we have no idea when an adoption will actually happen).
- I’m participating in a Children’s book exchange! It appears to be really simple – you purchase 1 book and mail to a child, and in return you’ll receive 36 books (assuming others all participate). I am looking for 6 people to join me, if you are interested send me an email at email@example.com.
If you like this post, please feel free to share and please click the follow button on the side or return to myperfectbreakdown.com to follow my journey.